Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Never Forget, Always Remember

Today marks the 11th anniversary of that tragic day. September 11, 2001.

On September 11, 2001, I was a Chardon Middle School 6th grader, just going about my day. It was in 4th period reading with Mrs. Rosenguard that we knew something wasn't right. She was pacing the room, trying to send out calls, while we all just sat there. Normally if a teacher give you a 'free day' everyone talks and goofs around. But, for the most part we all just sat there. We were young but we had enough common sense to know something was wrong.

Throughout the whole day the teachers tried to treat it like any other day but you could clearly tell that still something was wrong. What was wrong, we didn't know.

It wasn't until 9th period (out of a 10 class period day), that we found out what exactly happened. The principal came over the PA system and told the school the horrible events that occurred. Being a young 6th grader I still didn't understand the full effect. 'What is the World Trade Center? How does this affect Chardon, Ohio?' I remember thinking. Little did I know, it was about to be the biggest, most tragic event on U.S. soil of my generation, and it would stay in my heart forever.

When I arrived home that day, my mom was emotional and visibly upset. That is the moment when I realized this was big. Bigger than I expected. My mom explained what happened, and that's when I felt what my teachers, and all of America was feeling the whole day. I watched the news with my parents, and was really paying attention to all of it.

I will never forget what happened September 11, 2001.

11 years later, and it still feels like it happened yesterday.
11 years later, and we're still going strong.
11 years later, and we have not forgotten.

Have You Forgotten - Darryl Worley


Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning - Alan Jackson


God bless our Troops, and God bless America.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! :)